It's a very nice town, I bit spoiled by it's inhabitants. A lot of shouty people and obnoxious school children. Many wonderful buildings, open spaces and parks. It's the home of the birth of the USA. I was amazed by the number of signers to the Declaration of Independence, 56. It was drafted by Thomas Jefferson but he claimed it was butchered in order to get agreement. The side of town that borders the Delaware, the original parts of Philly is a beautiful area with little cobbled streets. We had a nice guided tour around Independence Hall by a park ranger. We had no tickets but one of the rangers got us in.
Independence Hall was originally the Pennsylvania State House where the declaration was agreed and George Washington appointed Commander of the Continental Army.
As I say, a nice town, that's Ben Franklin who was buried just across the road from his head. That's William Penn on top of the town hall tower. He & I have something on common, we were both on a jury in the same room at the Old Bailey. Never had a cheese steak.







No comments:
Post a Comment