Thursday, January 31

The Devil is in the ?

We plod on. No one tells you when you set off on this type of project, the nightmare that is sorting out your life on hard drives that have existed for over 10 years. Four HDD's 1 USB terrabyte backup all to be re-sorted and integrated in a way that a media machine can sort handle and present nicely.

Hardware.  You see lots of stuff on the interweb extolling the cheap and cheerful media approach, you know - "get yourself a supa HTMC for under $500"  Well, I don't want to do this too many times, so I am looking for a machine that will be running in ten years time, - with all the increases in download and speed that will occur over that period. My last Windows 2000 machine is coming to the end of its tether now, but has survived over ten years and runs OK even now. It is only Microsoft and the banks that has curtailed its life.

In the end, the choice based on "webexpert" advice has been between Asus and Asrock for motherboards (MoBo), a 1 terrabyte SATA disk and a TSB Twin Tuner. All my PC's have had Intel Inside (dong, don dooonng) and have run pretty well, so after looking at the performance charts I opted for an Ivy Bridge i5 3570K 3.4GHz CPU.

For MoBo, I thought that the ASUS P8Z77-V LE looked a good mid performance board. When I went to look to buy one of these, they didn't seem readily available although everyone seemed to have the more basic LX version on sale. I finally went for  the ASUS P8Z77-V LX & 8GB DDR3 1600. Lets see if that combo can handle what I want. I added to that a Segate Barracuda 1 TByte SATA HDD.

Tomorrow should see me stripping the old PC tower and with any luck starting build.

No comments: